Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit: 10 Key Facts International Students should know about

This article is about Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and the key facts you should know about it as an international student. 

Now, the Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is specifically for postgraduates. 

It is suitable for new graduates looking for postgraduate education or work opportunities in Canada. 

So, if you are one of many international students researching or considering options for where to study abroad, particularly in Canada, this article is for you. 

In this article, I educate you on the Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit requirements, fees, and the application process. 

Before you continue reading this article, you need to see my personal guide on moving to Canada you don’t want to overlook the secret and advice it has helped a lot of people.

Also, I discuss some important facts about Canada’s Post-Graduation Work Permit you should know. 

About Canada,

About Canada,

Canada is one of the countries in North America. 

Canada’s geographical area spans from the Pacific Ocean in the West to the Atlantic Ocean in the East.

 Canada has a land area of 9.98 million Square kilometres and by total area; it is the second-largest country in the world. 

Canada has three territories and ten Provinces.

 Ottawa is the capital of Canada. Toronto is the largest city in Canada followed by other cities like Vancouver, Montreal, Hamilton, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Quebec City.

Don’t miss out;

What is Canada’s Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)? 

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a type of permit that you can get as an international student in Canada that permits you to work in Canada. 

The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) enables students who graduated from selected learning institutions to have an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience

The skilled Canadian work experience in TEER (Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities) 0, 1, 2 or 3 which is gained through the PGWP program enables graduates to qualify for Permanent Residence (PR) in Canada within Express Entry through the Canadian Experience Class.

Who is Eligible to Apply?

To quality to apply you must meet these criteria:  

  • You need to be studying in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)  
  • The course you’ll be studying must have tenure of at least eight months.
  • You must be studying on campus. Online students of any DLI are not eligible.
  • Your Program must award a degree or certificate.

How to Apply for PGWP

Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit
  1. You would need to submit your Proof of Completion – a document showing that you have graduated from a Designated Learning Institution. This document can either be in the form of a transcript, a letter, or your certificate. While submitting, ensure that the document has all the required information such as the school name, dates, degree and other important details.
  2. You’ll also submit a valid passport. Before submitting it ensure that it,
    – is up-to-date and will not expire soon.
    – has some blank pages for stamping and visitor visa etc.
    – is not damaged in any way
  3. Submit the application 
  4. Pay the fees and keep your proof of payment

How Long Does it Take to Process the Application?

Normally, it takes about 90 days but you should double-check the exact duration on the IRCC’s website because the duration changes from time to time but if you apply on paper, it would take about 15 days. 

Always cross-check before applying.  However, you can start working while you wait for the processing of your application to complete.

The Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit Fees

To apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), 

you’re required to pay 100 Canadian Dollars (CAD) for the work permit holder charge and 155 (CAD) for your work permit which amounts to 255 CAD. 

Another fee you may have to pay for is your Biometric Fee (if you have to provide your Biometric when applying for your study permit) which may cost you 85 CAD.

Facts You Should Know About the PGWP

1. You need to be a full-time Student: The PGWP applies only to full-time students in any of the DLI. Part-time programs are not eligible.

2. It is once in a lifetime: You can only get a PGWP once in a lifetime; if you study and get a PGWP and you decide to advance further to get another one, 

you will be denied the offer because it is once in a lifetime.

3. The duration of your programs plays a part: Graduates who studied in a DLI for less than eight months will not get any permit but if you studied for at least one year and eight months,

 you may only get a one-year work permit while those who studied for two years or more may be eligible for a year’s work permit. 

You may also decide to run a one-year program twice to get a three-year work permit.

4. The Permit is valid for one year:  PGWP is valid only for one year and after that year if you intend to remain in Canada, you need to apply for permanent residency if you have at least one year of work experience.

5. It cannot be extended: Once the work permit expires, it cannot be extended, although,

 you may talk to your employer and have them apply for the work permit and they could help you with all the modalities for the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Alternatively, 

if you have gathered enough work experience, you may apply for a Permanent Residency.

6. You can work for anyone: With the PGWP, you can decide to of work for whoever you want without being tied to anyone or any place, 

you can decide to change job roles and work environment and also explore other options.

7. Keep track of your employment: Always document all your employment activities while in this program as you may need them if you wish to apply for permanent residency.

8. Your Study permit: Usually, your study permit expires after 90 days of your study program and you have 180 days to apply for this PGWP as soon as you get your Proof of Graduation else you may have to leave Canada and apply for it overseas.

9. If you are married, your spouse may get a work permit if you are a PGWP holder: as a PGWP holder, if you plan to live in Canada while being employed, or you will have a job that is classified under NOC 0, A or B; 

or you are authorized to work in Canada for at least six months from when your spouse’s open work permit is received, your spouse may be eligible to get a work permit.

10. You can use the PGWP to get a Permanent Residence (PR) in Canada: When you gain work experience up to one year or more, you will become eligible for Permanent Residency.


Now that I have explored the necessary things worth knowing about this program, I trust that you’re better informed on what the Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is about. 

Whether you are planning to live in Canada permanently or not, the Post-Graduation Work Permit is a great opportunity for graduates to visit Canada and gain some work experience. 

If you are also planning to apply for this permit, please, start preparing on time to avoid losing this opportunity.

Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top