Understanding Valid Job Offers in the Canadian Express Entry System: How to claim CRS for a Job offer

Unknown to many, not all job offers in the Canadian express entry system are valid for claiming Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points.

 In other words, certain job categories are ineligible for claiming CRS points in the Canadian Express entry system. 

As an intending Canadian immigrant, you should be aware of these job categories to avoid voiding your immigration dreams. 

Also, you should be aware of and know how to claim CRS points for a valid job offer in Canada.

Before you continue reading this article, you need to see my personal guide on moving to Canada you don’t want to overlook the secret and advice it has helped a lot of people.

This article aims to enlighten you on the process of completing the Express Entry profile as a prospective Canadian immigrant and claiming CRS points for a Canadian job offer.

What is the Express Entry Profile/ System?

Job Offers in the Canadian Express Entry System

The Canadian Government uses an online system to process and organize applications for skilled workers who wish to immigrate to Canada and become a permanent resident. 

This system is called the Canadian Express entry system

As a skilled worker who wishes to immigrate to Canada, a part of the process is that you need to have an Express Entry Profile on the Canadian immigration portal which would be evaluated by the Express Entry system and points would be awarded to you.

How to Get Points

The Canada Express Entry process follows a points-based system to be able to classify the applicants through a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) of point allotment. 

To qualify to apply for the Express Entry program, you need at least 67 out of 100 points. 

You may get these points through several parameters which include the following: 

  1. Job experience
  2. Skills
  3. Experience
  4. Canadian Employment Status
  5. Provincial or Territorial nomination

Your chance of getting an Invitation to Apply (ITA) depends on how many points you get. 

Don’t miss out;

Is it Possible to Claim Job Offer Points?

One of the questions that people ask frequently is “Can I claim job offer points?” 

Well, the short answer to this is that you can. 

However, not all the job offers can give up to 50 or 200 points to your CRS score. 

To be able to claim job offer points under your CRS, you must prove that you have a qualifying offer of arranged employment in Canada.

What is a Qualifying Offer of Arranged Employment?

According to Section 29 sub 2 of the ministerial Instructions respecting the Canadian express entry system, employment is regarded as a qualifying offer if; 

  • 1. The offer is supported by a valid system or if the offer is supported by a valid assessment and is provided by the Department of Employment and Social Development at the request of the employer or an officer,
  • 2. The applicant holds a valid work permit, the offer of employment is made by an employer  for whom the applicant is currently working and who is specified on the work permit or the work permit was issued based on a positive determination made by an officer under subsection 203(1) of the regulations concerning the applicant’s National employment with the employer in an occupation that is listed in TEER category 0, 1, 2 or 3 of the National Occupational Classification and the assessment provided by the Department of Employment and Social Development based on which the determination was made and cannot be revoked
  • 3. The applicant has at least one full year of full-time work experience or its equivalent in part-time work over a continuous period of work for an employer who is specified on the work permit.

What Do the Ministerial Instructions Respecting the Canadian Express Entry System Say About Points?

According to the Instruction, if a foreign national has a qualifying offer of arranged employment, the person may be assigned 200 points, 

 if the offer is for employment in an occupation contained in major group 00 of the National Occupation Classification matric or 50 points if the offer is any other qualifying offer of arranged employment.

How Do I Know If My Job Offer Is Valid?

The combination of Section 29 (2) of the Ministerial Instruction respecting the Canadian Express Entry System and Section 82 (1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations provides that all job offers are considered valid if they meet the following conditions:

  • 1. They are made by an employer who is not an embassy and not on the list of ineligible employers,
  • 2. They are continuous, paid, full-time (at least 30 hours weekly), non-seasonal work in a highly skilled NOC, and
  • 3. The employer writes a newly arranged employment job offer in which they specify that they intend to continue to hire you for one year after you get permanent residency.

Preconditions for Qualifying

There are certain preconditions that you must meet before you can qualify for an arranged employment point. 

To get these conditions right, you may need to speak with a Canadian immigration lawyer.

However, these are the basic requirements: 

You need to meet any of these criteria:

  1. be working on an employer-specific work permit, 
  2. have an offer from the employer that is specified on the LMIA-exempt work permit, 
  3. have to have accumulated one year in full-time or its equivalent in part-time for that employer and still be working for that same employer.

Full Conditions for Claiming CRS Points

You can claim CRS points if:

1. Your employer has applied for a brand new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and they have named you on that LMIA, specifying your job, working conditions, and wage and these details have been approved by Service Canada.

2. You are already working in Canada for an Employer who has already attained an employer-specific LMIA-based work permit and you have a work permit that specifies the name of that employer on the work permit itself. 

You also have to be authorized to work on the day that you submit your Electronic Application for Permanent Residence (EAPR) 

under express entry and you have to be authorized to work on the day that you get your landing as a Canadian Permanent Residence while you are there,

 you have to maintain the status at all times and you still need to have a new arranged employment letter from your employer indicating that they still intend to employ you for one year after you get your permanent residence.

3. You have an employer-specific non-LMIA-based work permit.

 You also have to have already been working up to one-year full-time or part-time with its equivalent to a year of Canadian work from the same employer on your work permit.

In addition, you must have a new qualifying offer from your employer stating that he/she intends to continue employing you for another year after you obtain your permanent residency in Canada.


Claiming CRS points is one of the most complicated areas of Immigration law and many people get it wrong which could lead to really disastrous results. 

However, if you follow the steps outlined in this guide you may avoid this and smoothly sail through your Canadian express entry system application by claiming the required points for success.

For the latest updates on work permits, visa application procedures, routes to permanent residency, and visa-sponsored jobs, keep an eye on msnoffersforschools.com.

By following these tips, applicants can enhance their chances of a faster visa approval process to Canada

1 thought on “Understanding Valid Job Offers in the Canadian Express Entry System: How to claim CRS for a Job offer”

  1. Pingback: Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit: 10 Key Facts International Students should know about

Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top